A piano is a well-known and popular musical instrument and there are lots of people who love playing it. Without piano, music composing would be challenging. However, Pianos’ thing is that it requires tuning from time to time, so you get the perfect sound out of it. At the same time, there are lots of piano tuning hardware available in the market. These days, we are also getting to see different apps for piano tuning.
When it comes to playing the piano, you can be the most skilled pianist out there and still not sound great if your piano isn’t properly tuned. Not to worry, we’ve got just the solution by taking a look at the best piano tuner apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android smartphones.
Now you don’t have to spend big dollars hiring a professional tuner. You can download one of the apps we are about to discuss in the article. But with a wide variety of tuning apps to choose from, which is best?
Are you curious to know about the best piano tuning apps to get your tunes right? So in case you are looking for the best apps for piano tuning, then I am here to help you out. I have handpicked some of the top piano tuning apps for you. So let’s go ahead and have a quick look at them:
8 Best Apps for Piano Tuning for Android and iOS
The piano tuning apps have helped musicians stay true to their tunes, fine-tune their notes, and create melodious harmonies. iOS or Android, we have an app for piano tuning that will make you the next Lang Lang, Beethoven, or perhaps Frederic Chopin.
Here you’ll find all the top best apps for piano tuning that don’t just help you with tuning the piano but other functions as well.
- Pano Tuner – Chromatic Tuner
- Smart Piano Tuner
- Piano Tuner PT1 – Professional Piano Tuning Tool
- Instrument Tuner
- Piano Designer
- Entropy Piano Tuner
- TuneLab Piano Tuner
- PianoMeter – Professional Piano Tuner
1. Pano Tuner – Chromatic Tuner
First of all, I have the Pano Tuner. The best part is that with this app, you will not just be able to tune your piano but your guitar as well. The app listens to the sound you make and shows you the pitch. As a result, you can tune your instrument accurately by looking at the offset from the pitch that you want to adjust. Along with that, it offers you a quick and sensitive response.
You will also be able to adjust the concert A frequency to make your instrument in harmony with your band. Plus, you can change the sensitivity to tune your instrument more accurately.
Key Features of Pano Tuner
- Quick and Sensitive Response
- Wide Range of Pitch Sensor
- This app is a chromatic tuner. It follows any pitch your instrument can make. Bring any of your instruments – guitars, upright basses, trumpets, and piccolos.
- Adjust the concert-A frequency to make your instrument in harmony with your band.
- Change the sensitivity to tune your instrument more accurately.
- Free piano tuner app for iPhone
2. Smart Piano Tuner
For my next pick, I have the Smart Piano Tuner. This one is also the best app for piano tuning. The best part of this app is that it is incredibly accurate and pretty easy to use. As a result, you can tune your piano within seconds.
Even not just piano, you will be able to use the app to tune your musical instruments. Getting started with the app is also pretty straightforward. All you have to do is set a tone, then play and tune your instrument.
After that, when the pitch of your instrument matches that note. The color of the panel of Smart Tuner will turn green.
3. Piano Tuner PT1 – Professional Piano Tuning Tool
Piano Tuner PT1 is also a pretty fantastic app for piano tuning. This app is designed for professional piano technicians. And with this one, you can tune all the 88 keys of the piano with extreme accuracy. The app is also backed by a top-class pitch recognition algorithm that lets you perform high-quality tuning of the piano’s entire range.
Moreover, the app also supports alternate tunings and tunings with A4 frequency. Also, it is incredibly accurate, reliable, and easy to use with real-time instantaneous pitch analysis.
Key Features of Piano Tuner PT1
- Professional grade piano tuning tool for piano technicians.
- Tune all 88 keys of the piano – Pitch detection works the entire range of the piano.
- Supports alternate tunings – for tunings with A4 frequency is different from 440Hz in equal temperament.
- Historical deviation graph – This shows the stability of the tuning.
- Extremely accurate, reliable, and easy to use with real-time instantaneous pitch analysis.
4. Instrument Tuner
You can also check out Instrumental Tuner. This one turns your Android phone into a portable chromatic tuner. With the help of this app, you can tune your piano with a very high accurateness (up to ±1/100 semitone (±1 cent) precise) and a wide range that covers A0 (27.50 Hz) – C8 (4186.01 Hz).
It also comes with some advanced features like a wide detection range from A0-C8, tone generator, tuning modes for specific instruments, and special tuning features.
Plus, it features different instrument tuning modes like Guitar Tuner, Violin Tuner, Viola Tuner, Violoncello Tuner, etc.
Key Features of Instrument Tuner
- Wide Detection Range from A0-C8
- Tone Generator (optimized sound generator, to generate tones in the full range of A0 up to C8)
- Tuning Modes for specific instruments
- Orchestra Tuning (shift/redefine the concert A Pitch)
5. Piano Designer
Piano Designer is one of the best Piano tuning apps that you can try out. This app is created for specific models. And with this app, you can easily control many elements from your mobile device’s graphical touchscreen.
You can also tune different parameters such as pitch, volume, tonal characteristics, and so on. Moreover, parameters related to lid position, strings, and hammers are listed at a glance and can be edited and transferred to the piano quickly. You can also graphically adjust the pitch, level, and tonal character independently for each of the piano’s 88 notes.
Key Features of Piano Designer
- Parameters related to lid position, strings, and hammers are listed at a glance and can be edited and transferred to the piano easily.
- Enjoy playing your Roland piano with sounds fine-tuned by famous piano technicians.
- Graphically adjust the pitch, level, and tonal character independently for each of the piano’s 88 notes.
6. Entropy Piano Tuner
Up next, I have the Entropy Piano Tuner. This one will help you to tune your piano in a new method based on entropy minimization. As a result, the app will take the individual characteristics of your instrument into account.
Also, the app lets you tune your piano in just three simple steps. All you have to do is record all keys of your piano, then compute the optimal tuning automatically and use the integrated tuner to tune your piano.
7. TuneLab Piano Tuner
You can also check out TuneLab Piano Tuner. This one is only available for iOS devices. Again, this app is only recommended for professional piano technicians.
As far as the features are concerned, with this one, you will be able to measure and use the piano’s inharmonicity to construct a custom tuning. Also, it offers you an over-pull mode for more accurate pitch raises.
Also, the app is capable of storing hundreds of tuning files for individual pianos. Plus, you will get access to many historical temperaments for period music.
Key Features of TuneLab Piano Tuner
- Capable of accuracy to 0.02 cents.
- Measures and uses the inharmonicity of the piano to construct a custom tuning.
- Provides an over-pull mode for more accurate pitch raises.
- Can store hundreds of tuning files for individual pianos.
- Tuning files can be stored locally and in the Cloud on Dropbox.
- Provides many historical temperaments for period music.
- Switches note automatically when you play the next note.
- Provides a strobe-like Phase Display for fine-tuning.
- Provides a versatile frequency spectrum display.
8. PianoMeter – Professional Piano Tuner
PianoMeter is also an excellent app for piano tuning. This one will transform your Android device into a professional quality electronic tuning tool. However, the free version of the app only allows you to tune notes on the piano between C3 and C5. So to tune the entire piano, you will need to buy the app.
However, the good part is that this one actively measures each note’s tonal characteristics and automatically calculates the ideal “stretch” or offset from equal temperament. You will also get features like automatic note detection, Tune to frequency standards other than A=440, and so on.
Key Features of PianoMeter
- Tuning functionality for the mid-range of the piano only
- Automatic note detection
- Ability to measure each note on the piano to see how its current tuning compares to the ideal tuning curve (see if a piano is roughly in tune)
- Swipe in the graphing area to show a live frequency spectrum or the inharmonicity of measured notes.
So those were some of the best apps for piano tuning for Android and iOS devices like iPhone and iPad. Now it is your call to go ahead and check them out and see how these apps are working for you. Also, if there is anything you would like to ask, then do feel free to comment below.