What Does Orange Light on AirPods Mean & How To Fix It
Like any othe popular wireless earbuds available in the market, the Apple AirPods also doesn’t come with any display to indicate the status or battery percentage of the device. However, Apple has embedded a multi-colored LED notification light as a solution this problem. But sometimes due to some error, an orange light on AirPods starts blinking. So, you might wonder what does orange light on AirPods mean? How to fix orange light blinking on AirPods or AirPods Pro? Worrry Not. I got you covered.
The AirPods’ case is where the LED light is placed and indicated different colors for difference conditions like battery percentage, pairing mode, new set up mode, etc. This LED light can light up or blink in green, orange, or white color.
When there is an orange light on the AirPods or AirPods Pro. Here I am going to discuss the different lighting modes of the AirPods including when the AirPods light flash/bling orange in color. So, let’s get started.
About Status Light on AirPods
MagSafe Charging Case: The status light is on the front of the case.
Wireless Charging Case: The status light is on the front of the case.
Charging Case: The status light in your charging case sits between the spaces for your AirPods.
If your Apple AirPods are in your case and the lid is open, then the light shows the charge status of your AirPods. When your AirPods aren’t in your case, the light shows the status of your case. Green means fully charged, and amber means less than one full charge remains.
If the light flashes white, your AirPods are ready to set up with one of your devices. If the light flashes amber, you might need to set up your AirPods again.
Different Light Colors on AirPods & AirPods Pro
The four different light colors on Apple AirPods are as follows:
- Orange or Amber
- Flashing White
- Flashing Orange / Amber
- Green Color on AirPods– If your Apple AirPods are blinking green light, it means they are in full charge. The green light appears typically when you have fully charged your AirPods.
- Orange or Amber Color on AirPods – Apple AirPods blink orange light when the AirPods case is charging, or an individual AirPod is charging. If the Orange light is steady on your AirPods, it simply means it is charging right now. This situation is not a problem, so you don’t have to worry about it. It becomes a problem only if AirPods is flashing orange.
- Flashing White Color on AirPods – When Apple AirPods are flashing white, it means they are ready to be paired via Bluetooth. Once you see the flashing white light, you can connect the AirPods. The flashing white appears if you press the hold the back button of your AirPods for 15 seconds.
- Flashing Orange or Amber Color on AirPods – Apple AirPods flashing Orange is less common than the other three light colors mentioned above. If your AirPods is flashing orange, it means it has encountered an error. Usually, when an error occurs, AirPods try to recover from it independently, but when they fail, they start flashing orange. It is the time when the user should be aware that their AirPods have encountered an error and can’t be fixed without their intervention.
If you have AirPods Pro or AirPods (3rd generation), you can tap the case when it’s on the charging mat to see whether your AirPods Pro or AirPods (3rd generation) are charging (amber light) or fully charged (green light).
Read: How To Make AirPods Louder [Fix Low Volume Problem]
What Does Orange Light on AirPods Mean?
Apple AirPods come with a single notification light that lights up in 3 different colors. These colors include solid green, solid white, blinking white, and blinking orange (amber) color. All these different lighting modes signify different conditions of the AirPods. Here’s what each of these lighting modes on AirPods means:
- Green: When the AirPods light turn turns green, it signifies that the charging case of the AirPods is fully charged.
- Orange/Amber: The LED of the AirPods’ case turns amber when you connect the case with a power source. This light signifies that the case is charging.
- Blinking White: If the LED light is blinking or flashing white, this signifies that the AirPods are ready to pair via Bluetooth.
- Blinking Orange/Amber: When the LED blinks amber/orange in color, this is an indication that AirPods have encountered a pairing error.
How To Fix Orange Light Flashing on Apple AirPods
As I mentioned earlier, if the Apple AirPods case is flashing amber or orange color in the status LED light, it means that the AirPods have encountered a pairing error. This problem does not allow the AirPods to pair with your iPhone, iPad, or other devices, and starts flashing orange light.
- Normal Case: Orange or Amber light means it is charging in a normal situation. The light will remain consistent and switch to green when AirPods gets fully charged.
- Problem Case: If AirPods is flashing orange, then it is a problem. It means Apple AirPods have encountered an error, and you need to fix it.
If your situation lies in a problematic category, to fix the orange light flashing on the AirPods case, you need to reset your Apple Airpods, and here’s how to reset AirPods:
- Before resetting AirPods, you need to unpair your AirPods from all the paired devices, be it be Android or Apple.
- To Unpair AirPods from Paired Device: Go to Settings > Bluetooth > Tap on the “i” icon next to your AirPods, and tap on Forget This Device.
- Put both the AirPods back into the case and close the lid.
- To reset AirPods, open the lid of the AirPods case and press and hold the setup button located at the back of the case for 15-20 seconds.
- Now, the LED light will start blinking orange and then white.
- Once the LED light starts blinking white, the AirPods are ready to pair with your device.
- Bring your Apple AirPods close to your iOS or Android device and connect them.
Apple AirPods is a great piece of tech, but it lacks certain features like a light indicator. Still, it does feature a light on the charging case that displays the different status of the AirPods and AirPods Pro. I hope you got your answer to your question “What does orange light on AirPods mean” and “why your AirPods are blinking orange in color“.
Apple AirPods are capable enough to flash three different colors: White, Green, and Orange. And, we have tried our best to explain to you the meaning of each color mode flashing on them. Especially, the orange light on AirPods which indicates an error in the AirPods and are needed to be reset.
I have also provided you with the best possible way to fix the orange light on the AirPods issue. If you have tried the above fix but still facing the same problem, it means there is some serious hardware issue, and I will suggest you contact Apple Support and ask for repairs or replacement.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to know if AirPods are charging?
The status LED light on AirPods should show the current charge level for 8 seconds. If you have AirPods Pro or AirPods (3rd Gen), you can tap the case when it’s on the charging mat to see whether your AirPods Pro or AirPods (3rd Generation) are charging (amber light) or fully charged (green light).
Does the orange light stay on when charging AirPods?
No. The status LED light on AirPods turns orange to indicate that the AirPods are charging. But as the charging continues the orange light gets turned off after several seconds.
Why is my Airpod pro light orange?
If your Apple AirPods Pro LED indicator is flashing orange, it means the AirPods have encountered an unrecoverable error. This issue can usually be fixed by factory resetting the AirPods and then reconnecting them to your iPhone, iPad, or any other Android device.