Xiaomi, POCO, Realme, OPPO, and a few others are one of the top-selling smartphone brands in India. However, the thing with these Chinese smartphones is that it comes with a lot of pre-loaded bloatware apps that we don’t even need, and sometimes these apps also raise security and privacy concerns. And among them, Clean Master is a popular one. However, while many like to use Clean Master, some might want to uninstall Clean Master app from their Android phone. So the question is How to uninstall Clean Master from Xiaomi, POCO, Realme, OPPO smartphones?
Well, in this article, I am going to answer this question only. So here is a step by step guide with different methods to uninstall cleaner apps without rooting your phone.
What’s Clean Master App? Is Clean Master Safe?
Clean Master is an optimization tool developed by a Chinese company called Cheetah Mobile Inc. To those who are unaware Cheetah Mobiles is a subsidiary of Kingsoft Corporation. In the past, Xiaomi CEO and Co-founder Lei Jun has also served as CEO and Chairman of the Kingsoft. Initially, Clean Master was launched for Android, then later Clean Master for Windows PC was launched.
When Clean Master app works on Android, its goal is to clear your device, boost performance by clearing the cache of the phone, save power and extend battery life as well as keep you safe from viruses.
A few months back, Cheetah Mobiles, the company behind Clean Master, was in the news when Google decided to pull off some of their apps from Google Play Store, including the Antutu benchmark.
The Clean Master app has integration with some Chinese OEM devices such as Xiaomi, POCO, realme, OPPO, etc. The Clean Master app is integrated into MIUI as Cleaner which can be found in MIUI Security app and as Phone Manager in realme and OPPO devices as it’s a part of ColorOS.
Cleaner app on MIUI requires multiple permissions, including full access (read, modify, and delete) to the device’s storage and also recording audio using the microphone at any time.
Cheetah Clean Master also supports Phone Manager on ColorOS and realme UI, but it also requires some sensitive permissions such as Phone and Storage. The deep integration within OS means that one can not easily uninstall or disable the unwanted app.
For reference, the Cleaner app on MIUI needs permission to your location access which does not make any sense for an app that is supposed to help you clean residual files from your phone’s storage. It also uploads filenames from your smartphone to app’s servers. The Cleaner Master servers that have been banned with the allegation that it shares and sends user data to the Chinese servers.
Also, the app even needs access to your microphone, which is fishy. What’s worse is the app does not ask user’s permissions. When user hit agree to the terms and conditions warning, it automatically authorizes the app to use all the functions it wants.
Following the Government Directive, these OEMs should be removing Clean Master and other banned apps from their devices with future software updates, but till then you can use this guide to protect your data by uninstalling these apps from your Android devices.
How To Uninstall Clean Master App From Xiaomi, POCO, Realme, OPPO Without Root
Now, before we get started, you must know that this is not an official guide and note that GadgetsBeat is not responsible for any sort of data loss or system crashes or vulnerability that you may encounter after following this process. We tried and tested the method on multiple phones and didn’t face any issues, but in case you end up bricking something on your device, make sure you know how to recover it.
Step 1: Unlock Bootloader and Enable USB Debugging
The first step would be to unlock Bootloader and enable USB Debugging on your Android smartphone. For this, you can follow these steps:
- First, go to your phone’s Settings > About Phone.
- Over here, search for the Build Number and tap over it 7 times in a row. You will soon see a notification saying, You Are Now A Developer.
- Again, go to Settings > Developer Options and allow the USB Debugging option.
Step 2: Open Command Prompt with ADB [Android Debug Brigade]
- Make sure that you have adb installed on your PC/Laptop. You can download it for links given for Windows or macOS depending on the platform you’re using. If you are on a macOS you need to set up adb on your MacBook from here.
- Once downloaded, unzip the file to your desired location and copy the location of that folder from the address bar.
- Then from the Start menu, search for CMD and right-click on it and select Run as Administrator.
- Now in the command window, you will need to type“cd <location of the folder where you have executed platform-tools.zip>” and hit the enter button. (Follow screenshot for better understanding)
- Next, you will need to connect your Android phone and type “adb devices” and hit the enter button to start the daemon tools. If no devices are listed then try reconnecting your phone to another USB port.
- In case if you see your device listed, then you have to run these below commands:
- For Xiaomi and POCO Phones: pm uninstall -k –user 0 com.miui.cleanmaster
- For Realme and OPPO Phones: pm uninstall -k –user 0 com.coloros.phonemanager
Finally, you will get to see a Success message in the CMD. Once you see this, you can be sure that Clean Master was uninstalled from your smartphone.
Warning Disclaimer: GadgetsBeat is not responsible for any damage or loss caused to your device.
Wrapping Up – Uninstall Clean Master From MIUI and ColorOS Android Phones
So that was the answer to your How to Uninstall Clean Master from Xiaomi, POCO, Realme, Oppo Without Root question. You can also uninstall other unwanted system apps from your devices using our guides for Xiaomi and realme devices. Now go ahead and try these methods out and see if these steps are working for you or not. Also, if you stuck at any point in time, do feel free to comment below, and I will help you out.