In a recent revelation, Microsoft has expressed its intentions to introduce advertising into the popular Call of Duty games on both mobile and PC platforms. The news comes as part of Microsoft’s broader strategy for Activision Blizzard, aiming to expand the advertising reach in free-to-play PC and mobile games.
The Leaked Plans
CharlieIntel on September 19, 2023, Microsoft is planning to expand advertising into free-to-play PC and mobile games. For now, the list specifically mentions Call of Duty: Mobile, but the text also indicates that this expansion will include PC games as well.
Why This Move?
Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision Blizzard is a significant part of this development. The tech giant aims to “accelerate the growth in Microsoft’s gaming business across mobile, PC, console, and cloud,” as reported by The Independent. The introduction of ads in Call of Duty games could be a revenue-generating move that aligns with Microsoft’s broader business goals.
The decision to introduce ads could have various implications:
- User Experience: Gamers may find the inclusion of ads disruptive to their gaming experience.
- Revenue Stream: For Microsoft, this could open up a new avenue for revenue generation.
- Regulatory Scrutiny: As mentioned by The Washington Post, the deal already faces scrutiny, and this new development could add another layer of complexity.
Microsoft also intends to make Activision Blizzard’s library of games, including Call of Duty, available in Game Pass, as per their official blog. This move aims to grow gaming communities by delivering more value to players.
- Microsoft plans to introduce ads in Call of Duty games on mobile and PC.
- The move is part of Microsoft’s broader strategy following its acquisition of Activision Blizzard.
- The introduction of ads could impact user experience, open new revenue streams, and attract regulatory scrutiny.
For more updates, stay tuned.