Let’s say you want to block websites on the Google Chrome web browser which you don’t want your children to browse on the internet. Or, maybe you want to ensure that social media websites like Facebook, Snapchat, or Instagram don’t restrain you or your team’s productivity at work. Whatever the case, blocking a website on Chrome desktop or mobile temporarily or permanently is an easy task. Best of all, it’s just as simple to unblock those websites too.
There are some websites on the internet known to harbor malicious scripts and malware on your computer. To avoid accidentally opening such websites, one of the best methods is to block sites on the Google Chrome browser permanently. Consider one of the methods below, depending on your needs.
How To Block Websites on Google Chrome Web Browser
There might be several ways to block sites on Google Chrome to create a secure environment in your home or workplace. Sadly, not every technique is perfect and might not work the way you want.
To make things simpler for you, we have handpicked the following methods to block adult websites or unwanted websites on Google Chrome. We will let you know how to do the same in the step-by-step tutorial below.
Method 1: Block Websites On Google Chrome Using Third-Party Extension (Desktop/Laptop)
Using this method, you can easily prevent a specific website or a group of sites from being accessible while using Google Chrome on your desktop. Block Site is a free browser add-on available in the Google Chrome Web Store which will help you to solve your problem.
Block Site – Website Blocker for Chrome: Block Site is a cross-browser website blocker extension that allows you to block websites based on the parameters you define. This extension helps you to stay focused and improve productivity by quickly blocking any distracting or malicious websites.
READ | How to Enable Location Services on Mac
How To Enable Block Site Extension on Google Chrome Desktop
- Go to the Block Site extension page available on Chrome Web Store from here.
- Click on Add to Chrome button present on the top right side of the page.
- Once you click Add to Chrome, you’ll see a pop-up window appear that summarises the extension’s main features. If you’re satisfied with your choice, click the Add extension button in this window to install the extension on your Chrome browser.
- With your extension downloaded, you will see a new icon appear on the top-righthand corner of your Chrome browser screen. Make sure the icon appears to confirm the extension has been installed successfully.
- Now visit the website which you want to block. Open the website on Chrome, click the orange shield icon on the top-right of the browser, and click Block this site.
- Now you won’t be able to reach the site you choose. You’ve successfully blocked the website. To unblock the website, click on the icon on the top-right side and then click Edit block sites list.
- Each of your blocked sites will have a “minus” icon to the right – click that minus button, and your website will be unblocked.
Note: Basically, this is a free browser add-on available in Chrome Web Store, but the premium version can switch on the uninstall protection which means no user other than the administrator can uninstall this browser add-on.
How To Block Websites in Google Chrome Android (Mobile)
If you love surfing the web using Chrome on your Android smartphone or tablet, you might want to block some distracting websites to increase your productivity.
Remember the Block Site browser extension for the desktop which we discussed above in this article? For mobile devices, this extension is also an app at the Play Store which you can download. Here’s how to use it via mobile to block websites on Chrome on your smartphone:
- Your Android smartphone comes with a built-in app called Google Play – also known as the Play Store. Open Google Play and search for the BlockSite (all one word), as shown below.
- Once you have downloaded this app, open it when the icon appears on your phone.
- Open the BlockSite app on your phone and tap “Go to settings” when prompted. The app will take you to your phone’s app settings. You’ll need to enable the app to assume control of your Chrome browser and block the websites you don’t want to see.
- With the BlockSite app-enabled, return to the app and tap the green + icon on the bottom-righthand corner of your Android smartphone. This will open a page where you can block either a website or a mobile app by entering the name of each into the search bar. See the screenshot below; tap Website or App to set which type of content you want to block.
- Enter the full URL of the website you want to be blocked and you’ll see a green checkmark on the top-righthand corner of your mobile screen become available. Tap it, and you will have successfully blocked the website.
- On the next screen that appears on your phone, you’ll be able to edit or remove websites and apps from your blocked list at any time.
Now you’re all set to block websites on Google Chrome web browser on desktop or Android.
Method 2: Block Websites On The Router
You can block websites on the Google Chrome browser by reconfiguring your router settings. This will affect all the devices connected to your network.
- Connect to your router by typing the default address on your web browser window. The default address is different for different routers but is usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1.
- Depending on which company router you use, look for URL Filter, Parental Controls, or Firewall in the settings under the Security, Parental Control, or Firewall tab.
- The URL filter lets you add the URLs for every website you want to block. The Parental Controls section lets you block websites on Google Chrome and specify the time when the Internet can be accessed. The Firewall settings also let you block websites by entering the URL. Most routers will have one of these features in the Settings.
- Follow the instructions, save the settings and reboot the router for the changes to take effect.
Note: Back up your router’s original settings before going forward with this method.
Share this article, if you found it interesting and helpful. Do “Like“ and “Follow“ us on Social Media to keep yourself updated with the latest technology hacks, tips, and tricks. Stay Tuned. Have any questions? Toss it up in the comments section below.