Apple’s new iPad Air 4 (2020) was announced at the Time Flies event. The Cupertino company has made radical changes in its new gadget in terms of design. The new Apple iPad Air 2020 flaunts a sleek body and has thinner bezels surrounding the display. The iPad Air now looks more refreshing than the previous iteration and boasts a bigger Retina screen. The display has an anti-reflective coating and True Tone support.
Apple iPad Air is the first in Apple’s iPad lot to integrate Touch ID to the tablet’s power button. Apple has made changes to the internal hardware too.
Apple iPad Air 4 (2020) Specifications and Features
Apple iPad Air 4 (2020) is powered by Apple’s latest A14 Bionic chip, fabricated on a 5nm process technology. With the new 6-core design on the chip, Apple promises that it will ramp up the CPU performance by up to 40%. Meanwhile, the 4-core GPU will provide a 30% improvement in terms of graphics.
For enhanced machine learning capabilities, a new 16-core Neural Engine is incorporated that is said to be to carry over 11 trillion operations per second.
“This combination of the new Neural Engine, CPU machine learning accelerators, and high-performance GPU enables powerful on-device experiences for image recognition, natural language learning, analyzing motion, and more,” Apple stated.
As for the imaging sensors, Apple has implemented the iPad Pro’s 12MP rear camera (with improved video stabilization) on the iPad Air. The tablet has a 7MP front-facing camera with FaceTime HD, smart HDR, and 1080p video recording at 60fps capability.
Compatible with Magic Keyboard, the new iPad Air 2020 has a built-in trackpad and Smart Keyboard Folio. The tablet supports Apple Pencil, which attaches magnetically to the side for easy pairing and storage.
Moving on, Apple has ditched the custom Lightning connector for a USB-C port on the iPad Air. The USB-C port supports external monitors up to 4K and 5Gbps data transfers. The company has included WiFi-6, 60 percent faster connectivity for LTE models, and iBeacon micro-location. The tablet also has support for Nano-SIM or eSIM (for cellular models).
Inside the box, the Apple iPad Air 4 (2020) bundles a 20W Type-C charger and cable.
Key Specs of Apple iPad Air 4 (2020)
- Model name: Apple iPad Air (4th generation)
- Build material: Glass front, aluminum rear, and frame
- Display Type: Liquid Retina IPS LCD display (True Tone support)
- Screen Size: 10.9-inch (1640 x 2360 pixels)
- Screen Protection: Anti-reflective coating
- Processor: Apple A14 Bionic chipset (5 nm)
- CPU & GPU: Hexa-core; Apple GPU (4-core)
- Operating system: iPadOS 14
- Internal memory: 64GB, 256GB
- Rear camera: 12MP (f/1.8 aperture), HDR support, 4K recording, gyro-EIS
- Front camera: 7MP (f/2.0 aperture), 1080p recording, HDR support
- Sensors: Fingerprint (mounted on power button), Siri, accelerometer, gyro, compass, barometer
- Audio features: Stereo speakers
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/6, dual-band, hotspot, Bluetooth v5.0, A-GPS, GLONASS (LTE model), USB-C reversible connector, magnetic connector
- Battery life: Up to 10 hours of backup
- Color options: Silver, Space Gray, Rose Gold, Green, and Sky Blue
Apple iPad Air 4 (2020) Price and Availability
The new Apple iPad Air 2020 with iPadOS 14 has been priced starting at $599 for the 64GB storage variant. Unlike the Apple Watch Series 6, the iPad Air isn’t up for pre-orders yet. The new tablet from Apple will be available from October. Here’s the list of prices for WiFi and Cellular models.
|iPad Model||Variant||Price in US||Price in India||Price in Nepal|
|Apple iPad Air 4 (2020)||64GB – WiFi||$599||INR 54,900||NPR 89,900|
|Apple iPad Air 4 (2020)||64GB – WiFi + Cellular||$729||INR 66,900||NPR 1,09,900|
|Apple iPad Air 4 (2020)||256GB – WiFi||$749||INR 68,900||NPR 1,10,900|
|Apple iPad Air 4 (2020)||256GB – WiFi + Cellular||$879||INR 80,900||NPR 1,29,900|
The Apple iPad Air 4th Generation costs almost $100 more than the iPad Air 2019. Though it lacks a high refresh rate display or lidar camera seen on the iPad Pro, you get a sleek aluminum body, bigger display, and a new chipset with enhanced CPU performance, which is a decent deal if you are a first-time buyer. Apple iPad Air comes with Smart Keyboard Folio support, which costs $179, and the new Smart Folio covers at $79.